You’ve got your ideal getaway on your vision board, you know where you want to get to and what you will be doing, seeing and experiencing that makes this the event of all events; that makes this so incredible that the effort it took to make it a reality is negligible in comparison
If you’ve been following the journey of Steps to Success in Sales you will now have worked through (if not here they are)
You are now at the part in your journey where you are ready to apply Step 3 Create your plan
A vision without action is just a dream, action without a plan is a painful and unnecessary journey
In this phase you take the elements of success (step 2) and break them down into manageable chunks. This has two advantages
- It makes it more realistic and far more motivational to follow
Think about it – If I told you that in order to achieve your dream aspiration in twelve months from now, that you would need £12,000 there is a 95% chance (there are the 5% that think differently) that you would look at the sum and think “I don’t have that! I’ve never seen that kind of money and have definitely never earned that kind of money! I can’t do that!”
Now imagine we take that sum and break it down over 12 months = £ 1,200.00 per month
Still not convinced?
Lets break it down even further to a weekly goal (4 weeks) = £300 per week
And if still not convinced, down to a daily goal (based on 20 working days) = £60 per day
How do you feel about the ability to create £60 per day? If you’re like me when I started sales even this seemed too much so I took it one step further and broke it down to hours (12 hour working day – start of my sales career) = £5.00 p/hour
“You mean all I have to do is focus on generating £5.00 every hour? That’s easy how do I get started?!”
I took this principle from one of my most valued mentors, John Maxwell, when he shared a story regarding the need to cut down a massive Oak Tree that had died in the back yard with a small hand axe. To summarise – when you look at the tree and you look at the tool you have you start off by thinking “its going to take forever, I just can’t do this!” but if through research you knew that with this axe, it would take on average 1200 strokes to cut clean through and that this equated to 5 chops a day for the next 12 months (which is the time you have given yourself to accomplish this task) then it would seem very achievable and are therefore willing to take action
2. It enables you to create the plan
A detailed outline of actions, time frames, tools, and resources following a structured path resulting in the achievement of a pre-determined goal
When you start creating your plan remember to design it following the SMART framework
S – Specific
Each aspect of the plan must be clearly and expressly detailed
Not S – I will make sales calls
“Every day starting at 8am, I will call my pre-identified list of prospects until I have managed to have five (5) quality conversations. A quality conversation at this point means a) speaking to the decision maker b) being able to do my introduction c) the person agreeing to speak with me. I will do this every day Monday to Friday till I have achieved success of a quality conversation as laid out above, at which point I will adapt my measure of a quality conversation to the next level”
“My pre-qualified call list will have been generated the day before through the search process I have decided on, and will at all times contain a minimum of 50 names (this is made up of people I did not manage to get hold of, people who said to call back, references and referrals I have picked up along the way) and will contain their name, surname, job title, mobile number and/or office number and one piece of interesting information I may use to start my conversation with”
Note – there is a lot more that can go into this however I feel you have the gist
How do you know its specific enough?
Is it measurable? Do you have numbers – factual, tangible data which you can use to measure against?
Is it achievable? At the outset this may not always be easy to answer until we have given it a go. That being said, there are very few activities we under take now a days which somebody else has not already done and an easy way to ascertain this is to ask somebody that is succeeding in what you do; somebody who is a few months ahead of you, what there experience is and whether they see this as achievable. Important Tip! You want to ensure you are set up for success and therefore I recommend starting with an easy to achieve plan which gives you confidence and which allows you to then build up from. If you are not achieving, you will quickly become disheartened.
Is it relevant and realistic? Do the activities you have planned to take a) have purpose b) contribute to the realisation of your goals
Is it timed? Have you set time lines and dates to every activity and goal?
Those are the fundamentals of Step 3 Sales to Success. In step 4 we will look at further things you would want to be aware of in order to make step 3 as accurate as possible
Have a truly prosperous day